1956 ADRA is established under the name Seventh-day Adventist Welfare Service (SAWS).
1962 SAWS provides $2.3 million of relief to 29 countries.
1984 SAWS becomes the Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA). Focus shifts to development work.
1989 ADRA begins working with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). Provides education for 37,000 Liberian refugees.
1994 During the Rwandan genocide, ADRA is the only nongovernmental organization to stay in the country. Feeds 400,000 and medical staff treat 1,000 patients a day.
1997 ADRA is granted General Consultative Status by the United Nations.
2001 ADRA is one of 14 agencies selected to be part of the Global Food Education program. Allows ADRA to feed 90,000 students in Madagascar.
2004 Following the Asian tsunami, ADRA launches its largest emergency response ever, helping thousands of survivors in four countries.
2011 ADRA Timor-Leste office is established in the country’s capital city of Dili, East Timor.